Friday, 3 January 2014

RosMud version 1.7.0 - and probably last

Now that Gypsum has launched (see previous post!), I don't feel bad about not having released a new RosMud for a while. Today's release marks seven years of the project, and picks up the changes done in the last 18 months - namely, not many. One small bugfix and one small feature enhancement to the TinyURL plugin, and that's it. RosMud++ is now a working, stable product, and I'll support it for as long as is practical in terms of technical assistance and maybe bug fixes, but I'm not going to add major new features to it. Gypsum is where it's at, now!

2 comments:

Ben Barringer said...

Hello,

I recently tried running the new executable rminstall.exe, and received the following message:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

I'm currently using Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise edition. I was under the impression this was compatible for a 64-bit OS. Is there something else I need to do?

Thank you.

Chris Angelico said...

I've had a number of people report problems with the installer, usually as a result of Windows security settings. Solution: Grab the zip archive instead - http://www.kepl.com.au/esstu/programs/rosmud170.zip - and unzip that into c:\rosmud, which is basically what the installer does. You may need to manually activate some plugins, but that's all.

But once you're online (if you're here for Threshold or Minstrel Hall, at least), talk to me about Gypsum. It's way better than RosMud already, plus it gets the development work that RM isn't getting any more :)